Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Recently diagnosed with HPV~ How does life change?

I was recently diagnosed with HPV. I went back to see my Gyno and he told me that the test came back positive. He told me that nothing would change between me and my fiance as far as having sex and having children would not be an issue. I just am wondering: for others diagnosed with HPV, did your life change? Are there certain precautions I need to take to prevent spread? I mean, other than having sex with someone, can say sharing a towel or a drink (saying someone had oral hpv)?

And, please, dont take it that I have slept around with numerous guys. I have only been with 2 men: my ex of 3 years and my fiance. Unfortunately, my fiance didnt know he was infected and gave it to me. He has been extremely supportive :)Recently diagnosed with HPV~ How does life change?
Don't stress.. The virus will do its ';circle'; and clear in 2 years or so. Try and avoid having sex as that might irritate the area and make the infection worse. :/



You can only spread HPV by direct skin to skin contact with the infected area, touching yourself and touching your partner's genital area and in case of oral hpv - only if you have oral warts which are very unlikely. The virus doesn't live long enough outside the body to be transmitted through towels or anything like that. Body fluids also don't carry the virus as it lives in the skin so don't stress too much about that.



You don't have to sleep with 100 men to get HPV. I got it from my first... Finding out freaked me out. And it scared my family too. Wasn't easy for them either. But now it's been a few months and everything has been back to normal for months. I'm still scared about it - but I just got back a clear pap test so all is good so far. My current boyfriend has been very supportive. I found out I had it while in a relationship with him. Thankfully we haven't done anything so he hasn't caught it. :) I hope...



Your life will go on as normal. Just keep doing those pap-tests to avoid pre-cancers. And get Gardasil if you can. :)Recently diagnosed with HPV~ How does life change?
I just got diagnosed with HPV. And, like you, I've only slept with 2 men. Since I just got diagnosed, I can't really tell you how my life changed, but I did have to get a LEEP procedure to remove the abnormal cells. It really doesn't affect your fertility, although if you get too many LEEPs you are more likely to have a c-section or have an early birth.



I think for me I just became more conscientious about my health; I stopped drinking and smoking, although I didn't do either that much. I'm also taking multivitamins and considering taking up yoga to relieve some stress (which I know can aggravate HPV). You can't really spread it other than through sex or sharing blood. It's a virus and viruses can't live outside of the body. And, although it's *possible* and could happen, HPV generally doesn't affect you orally/anally...but you might want to check those areas every once in a while. HPV (aside from the general warts types) usually affects the cervix, which is why most men don't get tested for HPV and they don't know if they have it or not.



I think, if anything, the only change that I'll notice is that I will have to get annual Pap smears to monitor the HPV.

No comments:

Post a Comment