Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Life change...?

I've only lived in large cities (Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA and Las Vegas, NV). My boyfriend grew up in Custar, South Dakota ( a very small town). He moved here about a year and a half ago with a friend from high school and we've been together since. Well he got a really good job offer back home and he wants me to move with him. I love him and would love to be with him but I am worried about how I will handle such a big change. All his family is there and I've seen a ton of pictures, it's beautiful. My sister now lives 2 blocks from me, I walk to work, and this is all I really know. My question is; Have you ever made a big move and how did you deal with it? How did you make your new home feel like your old home? What did you do to get over being homesick? Do you have any advice for me on adjusting to a new area?Life change...?
honestly, i wouldn't try to make the new home feel your old home. i would accept the change and make it comfortable.

after a while you will get used to it, just like adapting to anything else. just accept moving away gifts and souvenirs from your home town and move on, it'll ofcourse be difficult at first, but you will get used to it. just make sure your with the right person before you actually move. keep in mind that you can still visit your home town.



i'm done my part, i hope others here can help too. good luck.Life change...?
time heals these issues. You end up meeting new people, you have to have a positive attitude and things will fall into place.
The best thing you can do is to let him go back, and get himself settled. Then, visit on your vacations. See if you like the area, and what the job market is like. Find out about things to do, since you're used to lots of activity in a big city. Evaluate how you'll like it, because if you move there just for him, then you'll never be happy.
I just moved from Rapid City, South Dakota to a new city. Rapid City is right outside Custer. You will like it there. Life is much slower and quieter there until the Sturgis Rally hits every August and then the hills are alive with hundreds of thousands of bikers. It's great!!! It will be easy for you to adjust to the area. It gets colder there than anywhere you have ever lived though so buy a really good coat. To get over being homesick all you need to do is to call home once a week and plan vacation time within a year so that you can go to see your family. It will be hard at first but it will get easier over time.
You're going to miss the big cities. It's a much bigger change than you can imagine. However, if you have good reasons for moving, you may be able to adjust.



How far is Custar from a city? If it's relatively close, you won't feel completely bored/smothered/foreign.



Try it out. What do you have to lose?
Only move back with him if you're both committed. Do you guys talk about the future? Does he want a future with you? Personally, I'd only go if I were engaged to the person or married to them already... but if you're more the adventurous type, go and see what it's like.. if it doesn't work out-- move back home and chalk it up to a learning experience.. Either way, it could be messy if you both don't have any solid plans for your futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment