Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Figuring out my life? career? How can you possibly know what you want at age 17!?

I am 17 years old, and right now my family has been putting so much pressure to find out what i want in life, and i don't know! it's like i don't have any dreams or things to work for. How do you figure out what career you want when you're so young? I dont know what i want to do the rest of my life..



I love helping people, being a listener, but have got the brains for photography, pharmaceuticals, web design and graphic design and i'm on my 6th year of french.



I want a job that I am not stuck behind a desk. I want to get out. experience. Change lives! But most of my interests (photography, web design, graphic design) aren't that adventerous. On all my college apps i put 'communications' and french for majors.. but i dont know!



Any ideas! I'm so lost :-SFiguring out my life? career? How can you possibly know what you want at age 17!?
Take a year out and work before going into college so you will have more time to think about what you want to do, you'll be more mature and also you'll have more finance.



The great thing about college is that most courses are very vague and don't commit you to a particular career.



So it's all good.Figuring out my life? career? How can you possibly know what you want at age 17!?
i dont know if you can know at age 17!



impressive that you have taken six yrs of french.



what about using that for something in the military??



good luck to you. i knew what i wanted to do when i got out of h.s., but i never actually thought i could do it.



i surprised myself when i did.



lol



you will be great!!!! shoot for the moon and you'll at least land somewhere within the stars!
http://usinfo.state.gov/journals/itsv/11 great article for you on selecting a major. Among quite a lot of advice and good information, the article points out in several ways how common it is to change majors, not know your major when you enter college, etc.



For family, tell them you've found the ';perfect career!'; in Communications, because it combines your interests in helping people, and the practical applications of your web design, graphic design, etc. Then start in Communications, and see what else is at your college. Who knows, you might end up gravitating to Art History or Business or Sports Medicine.



With your broad set of skills and interests, the problem is, the world is too full of choices. There's no way a 17 year old with that skill set will know what to be when she/he grows up. That only works for people with a singular mindset, say ballet or architecture. And lucky for them in the short run.



For you, in the long run, you have so many opportunities available, and career choices, that you have the long-term luck. No need to narrow it down immediately.



I notice there are some questions on the yahoo answers board recently about ';where is a website I can see what I want to do after college,'; etc. Scan through those Q%26amp;A, and see whether anyone comes up with some good resources. (I don't have any for that).



Last, your college placement office will be full of texts and website references and how-tos that you can peruse, once you select your college.



Best of luck!
You could try to incorporate all of them into one career. But since that is usually impossible, try picking two. If you are really good at French, apply to a college that has a study abroad program. You could study any one of your other interests in France. Try meshing things together and seeing if you like the result. For example: Photography alone might be not exciting, but how about taking photo's in France for a major magazine? If you put things together instead of trying to focus on one, you'll find it easier to figure out what you really want.
I believe one shouldn't strive for a career but rather major in something they love and then go from there.



I cannot reccomend carreers. Sorry. I hope everything goes well for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment