Monday, November 22, 2010

Want to change life, where to start (lots to read, watch out!)?

so for the past year and a half my life has started to take a turn for the worst. ive always been diagnosed with panic and anxiety/depression disorders. but it has started to control my life, it hasn't happened all at once, but slowly this year its gotten worse and worse as to where i don't leave the house much, i can only go about 2 blocks and i start to have major panic attacks and have to return home, ive gained alot of weight because ive become inactive. all i do is sit around or sit at friends houses. im starting my senior year in high school soon and i really need a job, but this panic keeps me from getting a job. im 18 and feel like im never going to make it in the real world. i always feel lazy, i try to find fun things to do but its hard when i cannot leave and go for a walk or go downtown. im only comfortable if i have a ride with some one. this has made my relationship with my girlfriend stressful, as we do not do a whole lot. and we fight alot, we may go to the movies once but other then that its to stressful for me to leave or go places. I use to be able to walk alone anywhere i pleased as long as i want. when i was about 14 i started getting panic attacks, but i had them under control, now i cannot control them. i feel like im not interested in anything. i just sit around the house doing absolutely nothing. i use to see a counselor, i stopped going to one because this year i felt like nothing was working. i made an appointment in a week to see my old counselor. i just don't know what to do and how to change all of this mess. i have 5 siblings and out of those 5 my oldest brother was the only sibling i spent a significant amount of time with. he was more a father to me then my own dad. (ive had issues with my dad not being around when i was 10 years old and started first going to counseling because of issues with my dad doing drugs, and just not being around) but anyway i lost my older brother to crime, hes spending 12 years in prison. it was really hard for me being 14 to lose my only real father figure. up untill now i never linked that to the isolation feeling which may have caused the start of my agoraphobia like state. i havent left the house on my own in almost 2 years now. I just want to be independent and be able to be on my own.. im 18 and i feel like a child, i feel like i cant be on my own or i panic... is going to a counselor the first step to take for recovery? i just want to be able to go out side and enjoy everything around me.Want to change life, where to start (lots to read, watch out!)?
Ya, definitely see a therapist. They will be able to help. Your apathetic state is definitely a side effect of depression and can be fixed, perhaps with that added desire the agoraphobia can be more manageable and you will be able to lead a normal life.



Just talk to a therapist, perhaps a psychiatrist so you have the option of medications, in case it comes to that.Want to change life, where to start (lots to read, watch out!)?
As far as I know- a counselor can have a degree in sociology. You need somebody with a more intense education in psychology and psychotherapy. I would suggest a psychotherapist with psychoanalytical training. And yes- do go and stick it through.It might take a few years. But this is something you need to nip in the bud and the earlier you begin your therapy the better. Otherwise it will control you life and you dont want to let that happen. Judging by the little bit you have told us here about your family and your childhood - I would say that you have a lot of real reasons to be troubled as you are. Go for it! Get professional help!

No comments:

Post a Comment