Saturday, November 20, 2010

How can I stop being depressed and change my life?

I am 15 and since grade 7 I have been taking medication for depression and it has been helping me, but I have started to feel depressed again. I don't hang out with my friends anymore, and it seems like whenever I'm online on msn or yahoo, they are offline, and when I go online they go offline, so I figure that they don't like me. Maybe Im just paranoid but I dunno, it seems that way. I have been getting thoughts about killing myself on a daily basis for about a while now. I lay awak in bed all night and think about how to do it and where and when to do it but I don't want to but I can't help it. I feel lonely and invisible, and I can't seem to get any advice from anyone. I try to ask this before and people just told me that im selfish and a loser, but I just want to know how to change myself so I can be a better person so I dont have to be that way. I know i seem selfish but i cant figure out how to change my life, andn nothing has helped so can u please tell me what I can do to help?How can I stop being depressed and change my life?
i think about killing my self every second of every day for quite a while now so i can see when your coming from with most of this although I'm ready to die i cant wait i don't see my life getting any better at all, im to far gone. But really you have to try and find out what you really want its your life its your choice maybe things will get better but then again maybe they will not each person's out come is different in some way or another. all you can really do at this point is try to find things that you like to do and consume your time with that. it may take your mind off things a Little behind that you should make your own judgment.How can I stop being depressed and change my life?
This is not the wrong place to ask. There are people here who understand. I want you understand something. I know you feel right now that nobody else understands how you feel right now. I want you to know that we do! We know how it feels, that it's hard, being 15 is tough. You're going to be okay - I'm sure, but you have to let yourself. Your body and mind are maturing to adult size and it's hard on the brain. Until you equilibriate, you feel some tension inside of you.


You know what will help you a lot? Exercise - you might be one of those guys that hates to exercise, but I promise if you can find a way to get some exercise, it will help you more than you can understand right now. That's the best way I can recommend to you to change your life. Make sure you are eating the right stuff. I'm not saying you can't eat things you like, just keep everything in a balance. Things will change and you will be happy again.
whatever you do dont kill yourself try to make new friends,join a club, volunteer some place, get a pet i dont know I am 15 too and i just joind a youth group at my church that gets my mind off things and I have new friends.
Why don't you hang out with you friends anymore? And I'm not simply talking about online, but in person. Your friends might not be avoiding you, you all might simply jsut be online at diferent times(That's what happens to me). It's not selfish to want want to spent time withe friends. It's part of our human nature to need a sense of belonging. Compnaionship is actually one of the basic needs to survive(others including, shelter and nourishment). Some things that can help with that depression is to have more interactions with people, in person. If you're unable to spent much time with your friends now because someone might be busy, join a club, or makes new friends. That doesn't mean you have to lose the ones you already have. Start a new hobby or find something else that you enjoy as well. Another thing you could try to do is try some sort of physical activities. Exercise not only keeps you healthy but helps to release more chemicals that will actually make you happier.
Well, over time, anti-depressants can stop working for you. I would talk to your doctor about switching medications. This happens. anti-depressants eventually build up a tolerance in your system. All you have to do is talk to your doctor. Mention to them that you are just as depressed as you were before you were taking meds for it. Ask if you can switch to a different drug.
Bro trust me fighting depression is not that easy ...i took medication but still i didnt help me. i figure out a way to fight it.





the key is : ALWAYS STAY BUSY, depression most the time happens coz you have so much free time, bored. If you can be busy working,studying,exercising....bassicall鈥?do anything you have to do with a partner...
I know what it is like fighting the thoughts of suicide. get help. the only way i could get well was taking the right meds and talk therapy. prayer helps. the meds need to be prescribed by a psychiatrist not any other kind of dr. a psychiatrist can increase your meds faster and get the right combination of meds. that is what a psychiatrist does all day. for me the chemicals in my brain are was not right and i take a high dose of antidepressants. i couldn't get over the depressant without the meds.
This is going to sound stupid, but I think that you need to go for a 30 minute run every day and eat 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed every morning to get your omega fatty acids.
hey,good question,i was to ask it cuz i myself really depressed and i hate to sit in bed and watch my life fadding day by day!





i looked at the answers and i wanted to read them but i can't focus to read more than 2 lines!





i've been through suicidal thoughts alot ,even now and i don't know how to stop them ,someday it will be too late to save me!





try to add more ppl to your msn list ,talk to them ,it is helpful to write down ur feelings to a stranger!or try to write poetry





no matter was it good or bad just try it will help u cuz i do this





take this link:


www.poemhunter.com


hope u'll get better
I understand your position,as I've been there before, more than once. What I found worked for me, was talking about it to someone I know and trust. Whether that's with your parent(s), a counsellor, doctor, therapist, school counsellor, or a really good friend, you will find that talking about it may help. If you've tried talking and nothing's working, then maybe you need to try to do some self-evaluation.


Where are you in your life right now? Is it pressure or stress from school? Home?


I heard that depression can run in the family, so maybe you should talk to one or both of your parents about this.


Depression can be a chemical imbalance in your brain, and that does take some time to resolve itself, through medication and therapy.


I know at times life can seem to be very difficult. There may be times when life doesn't go your way, and the paranoia sets in. It's all a part of depression.


There is light at the end of the tunnel, though, and no, I don't mean after you kill yourself! That's not the answer, even though you feel you've run out of options.


By understanding WHY you feel the way you do, and why some things trigger your depression, you'll find ways to deal with those issues and move forward.


It's hard, I know, to move forward, when all you want to do is be left alone, and curl up into a ball, and shut out the world, who you may feel doesn't want you. But the truth is, you can get help, and it comes in all forms and levels.


You must want to have that help, though. You may not want to deal with some of your issues, and depending on your circumstances, from your childhood, you need to address what the core problem is. Maybe it's just that you're finding it difficult to deal with day to day issues, and challenges. You might feel overwhelmed at the smallest problems.


Find confidence in yourself, and know that you are cherished and loved, by your family. Your friends are there for you, and you'll know who your REAL friends are, if they stick around and try to help you. Sometimes the friends you do have might not know what to say or do, but they're there, still.


If you're already talking to a professional, keep talking to them. Don't miss an appointment, and be true to yourself. Stay honest, and take it day by day.


My depression came on slowly, and it lingered for a month, and upon talking to a professional for that entire month, I found that the issues I did have, were slowly going away, with the counsellor's help. I needed to hear certain words, and reassuring comments from him to get me through. It may sound like he was pampering me, or guiding me, but that was it. It's what I needed to hear at the time. Sometimes I needed to get a push from the counsellor to get me going. There may come a time when you need to look in the mirror and do some self-inspirational talk. You need to build on your self-confidence and your self-esteem.


It seems like a long road, but the recovery is there. It will happen. You need to believe in yourself, and believe that you ARE strong, determined and willful to accept the daily challenges, and meet them with your head up, and positive.


Depression is an illness that can be treated, with the proper tools. You just need to find the 'right tools' that work for you.





I wish you all the best, and I pray that you find it within you to stay strong, and determined to move forward in your life.
THE PROBLEM IS FROM WITHIN, FIND OUT WHAT DEPRESSES YOU AND SOLVE IT, DONT BE AFRAID TO FACE YOUR FEARS.
Listen Little brother your only 15 you have so much life in front of you. I know that you are alone and not sure where your life is going but believe me you'll grow out of that. I love you and GOD loves you so don't do anything drastic.
Go back to your doctor- believe it or not some side effects of depression medication are suicidal thoughts!





One theory is that it lifts the depression enough to give the person energy to start to act on those thoughts.





Personally, I think that it gets you into a business like attitude, and you start to think- time to take care of business, and your fear is wiped away with your depression.





What ever the cause-be it that you need more or less medication- know this...





This is not forever. This is not everything.





Your world is a fishbowl- you have only been presented a single view of it- the world that your parents and peers and the popular media have given you.





As you grow older, (and now, even) you will find some ';personal truths';.





One personal truth you will find is that the world is not as it has been presented to you. What the world is to you is your own thing.





You are lonely because you think there is no one else like you- you are alone- but the shell that people wear is deeper then they allow you to believe.





Those happy people who ';have it together'; at school- they are trapped in their own world and their view are not as shiny as you see it from your side.





That is why everything is confusing at this time- because you are coming into those self-truths, and they are not jiving with what you have been taught.





Go back to your doctor, get the meds in line- these thoughts are a symptom just like a sore throat is a symptom.





Many times ';Mental'; is really ';Medical'; and there is a process going on upstairs that is not always entirely under your personal control.
I really feel for you. I've been having suicidal thoughts since around junior high too. I'm gay and naturally very sensitive and my family is anything but supportive. I never had too many friends in high school and I've came very very close to calling it quits. I've went as far as making plans and researching methods, but I have yet to make an actual attempt. I won't tell you not to hurt yourself, or how to change your life, but I will say that I understand the place your in and how hopeless you must feel. I'm still there actually and I only wish I could meet you and just give u a hug. Acknowledgment is what hurting people need. Not criticism and an accusation of selfishness. If you can't see anything good in your life, why not sit down and make a list of everything that your the most talented at. Draw a picture. Write a letter. Express your feelings somehow. Of course I'm no psychologist, but venting is sooo healing. Find friends who accept you for you and won't bring u down. Try getting out in bright sunlight too. Email me if u want. I need more friends as well.
Well if i were in your shoes I would not go to proffessional help becase all they do is give you more and more prescriptions and that really isn't a solution or a problem. I suggest you pick up a sport at school or give yourself some kind of goal to look forward to. For instance if you like video games dedicate yourself to beating it ...or if you like to be atheletic give yourself a challenge. Go to the movies by yourself if no-one wants to go with you. Dedicate some time to your family maybe they need something from you and you might benefit from it. There are different forms to being happy but you must feel happy with yourself first. So do stuff you like to do on your own and with no-one else and when you feel you need company ask someone who is participating in the same hobby and there you'll also make new friends. Your old friends don't have to be the only ones to hangout with give others the opportunity to see what a great person you can be.
First off you need professional help, not Yahoo answers. As far as suicidal thoughts, that isn't selfish and you aren't a loser. However you do need immediate help! Now you said the meds you were on helped for a long time. Well as we grow old our body chemistry can change. So this could be as easy as making an appointment and them helping you figure out what meds are right for you today.





Chemical imbalances can make you feel depressed even if your life is well not perfect, but great if you will. It's quite common and don't feel embarrassed about it. Just please, I'm begging you GET HELP! No one can do it for you. Suicidal thoughts aren't a choice, but getting help is.





Also I would recommend calling a crisis line of some sort which you can find at www.save.org (suicide awareness voices of education) or finding someone preferably a professional to talk to about this before it gets out of hand.





Take it from me, been through 2 suicides in my life and one just Jan 2nd of a yes, 16 year old boy. It was my nephews best friend. It is very serious and even if others might not take it serious, don't take it personal most just don't understand the severity of these thoughts. Just move forward and get the help you not only need, but deserve.





While excersize is great like others said. This alone will not help you, but you can do this on top of other things I have mentioned. And for the one who says ';Get rid of the bad thoughts in your head';. It just isn't that easy, and that is ok. Some things worth fighting for ';our health'; don't come easy all the time.


Best of Luck to you, seek help and I'm sure you will be just fine.
OK i'm done now!!


Make changes you are stuck in a rut!!!!!!! If you can't hang with your friends get some new ones! Not on line there are some kook's out there!! Anyway stop torturing yourself with those so called friends, they aren't anybody special to make you feel like that! Take them off your friends list that way it won't make yo wonder! As for killing yourself why??????? I have know several people here in my small town that did that. They only just there familys, they had to stay behind and cry everday cause they missed them and wondered what they did wrong. It is pointless! I would never do that. I have had depression for many more than 10 yrs and haven't done it! Felt like it but something made me go on!! Some depression meds make you feel like that and you don't even know it! Have doc change to a different one. Zoloft did that to me, it was awful!! I don't know what was wrong with me till I read that one day! I am on Wellbutrin now, it is so much better!!!!!!!! Some of them will make you paranoid and the whole time %26amp; you just think your crazy!!! Don't sit around and think so much it will drive you crazy, it sounds like you are your own worst enemy! I grew up feeling just like you, but it will get better you will get married some day have kid, a home, car payments and everything else that goes with it!!!! But you have to stick around for that to happen!!!!!!!!!!! There is nothing wrong with you, God put you here on this earth cause he wanted you here!!! People have not right to make you feel less than the person you are. Stop thinking so badly about yourself, you can't be all that bad!!!! You definitely don't sound like it!!!! Anyway do everyting different than what you are doing right now! Change your hair, your style of clothes, your friends, your attitude about life and you will be nuch better. And for gods sake stop looking back! YOur not going to find any answers there they are ahead of you!!!
no youre among thousands of adolescents. who are diagnosed as being bi-polar. you need to go mental health. ask to be seen by a counselor. when you start thinking about suicide you definately need advice. and you cannot really get this on yahoo answers. the thing you need to think about is who and how many will still be here grieving theirselves to death missing someone whom they loved very much. suicide isnt the answer, believe me. if you are this bad off please tell your parents if they will not listen you call rescue squad and tell them you need help and you need it now. you can commit yourself. do it before its to late. and if you need someone to talk to im here email me or message me either one. wish you the best.
I hope you understand that DEAD IS FOREVER. There is no changing your mind. Once it's done, it's done.
please don't kill your self go back to the doctor that prescribed the medication and let the doctor know you are having these feelings.you got better once and can do it again.
first things first you need to talk to your friends. you need to know how they feel. if they do not want to be your friend make new ones. this happened to me with my ex best friend. my sister knew my best friend first and i met her and my sister and my best friend had an argument. i tried to fix things but it did not work. they both hated me for like six months. i had it see a therapist. PLEASE GO SEE A DOCTOR EVEN THOUGH I DO NOT KNOW YOU YOU SHOULD NOT EVER WANT TO KILL YOUR SELF THINGS WILL GET BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love. --Mother Teresa





Your not selfish your just very, very sensitive. There are lots people out there who need people like you.





www.volunteermatch.org
first, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. even if you are clinically depressed, there is help for you. if you feel like your medication is no longer working like it used to, you are probably right. over time, the liver learns to process the drug out of your system faster, requiring a tweaking of your dosage, or change to another medication..this is a trial and error process, and getting things right takes some time. you have described suicidal ideation to the point of figuring out ways to carry it out, which is an URGENT sign of trouble. glad you asked the question, but you need to see a doctor about this. it sounds like a chemical imbalance in your brain..the paranoia that you are experiencing is just another symptom. if this is the case, it is possible to live a fairly normal life, when you get on medication that works for you. but please, see a doctor qualified to help you in these matters.
It is a shame that you asked for help, and that no one was there to help you...This is an awkward stage in your life.. it seems like everyone is against you.. they are not.. ignore your paranoid thoughts... get invlolved with something..soceer basketball... any thing that you are interested in. You will be fine.. dont do anything drastic
I have been depressed since kindergarten; and I'm going be 50 later this month. I used to tell my mom about it, she was a nurse, but she didn't like psychiatrists (she thought they were weird). I never got treatment until I was about 27 years old--I saw a psychiatrist, he was a real nice guy too, and the medication worked like a miracle. I hope you can talk to your doctor and tell him or her how you feel--maybe you need a higher dose or maybe you need a different medication, or maybe you can see a counselor too. I don't think you're paranoid, I feel like that sometimes and I think it's just part of being depressed--everything looks negative because of the way you feel. Also, it's possible that you're going to start feeling better, the feelings you have right now just might pass on their own.
First of all are you still on your medication? if not you need to go back on them. if you are you need to go see your doctor about it because sometimes your body gets used the the anti depressants and so they don't work as well.





You need to be able to talk to someone about your feelings, its hard opening up so someone! but honestly once you talk out your feelings too someone that wants to help you, you will start too feel better.





Your friends may be finding it a little hard to understand why you feel the way you do, They are also only 15 years old and may not have the maturitiy too know how to help you. As for you going online and they are offline i would say it is a coincidence nothing more.





You are at a very difficult time in your life and lying awake trying too think of ways too kill your self is not going to help. Try when you are in bed setting yourself a goal like tomorrow after school i am going to go for a walk or something that you have too look foward too then you will spend the whole day looking foward too it.. and the same with the next day and the next day.....





i know how hard bad it feels to feel as though you are all alone but believe me you are not! i am 24 years old with 2 preciouse little girls and a pretty incredible husband but i feel exsactly the way you feel right now!





Feel free too send me an email i will try too help you in anyway!





You are not selfish! you are struggling, but you will get better! also try some positive thinking when you start too think bad things about yourself start too think good things instead...


I hope this helps :)


Smile.
Ok...Life is hard, even harder for a 15 year old. The first thing you need to do is talk with your parents, family member you can trust, school nurse, pastor, or someone that can help you get to the doctor and get your meds changed. They aren't working anymore.





Second, true friends don't avoid you when you have a problem. THey jump in with both feet to help. If these people aren't doing that, they aren't your friends and you need to find some new ones.





Join some clubs at school, get involved at your local community center or find a church with a good youth program.





I believe there is a God in heaven that loves each one of us. He will help you through this. I know this because I have gone through the exact same thing.





I will be praying for you.
maybe you should call a professional on a crisis hotline. They can professionally speak to you and get you out of your depression mode. Don't take things this serious into your own hands. Don't think you're alone..There's lots of people young and old in your same situation. Best of luck. And hey, get those thoughts of killing yourself out of your head..You have lots to live for. Keep your chin up and smile often. Take care. :)
My friend, I have been there since I was a child too. I never took prescription medicine, instead I drowned my misery in booze and illegal drugs. It didn't work either. To this day I will lay awake in bed at night and fantasize about ending it all. I can be doing what I'm doing right now and get the feeling of how wonderful it would be to have the pain stripped from me. To me, the peace of death is a dream come true. In fact, once I was unconscious because of a spider bite on the neck. I almost died. As I lay there, unable to move and bouncing in and out of consciousness, everything as clear as if I were completely healthy, I heard the paramedics talking and they said they were losing me. It became so very peaceful and despite anyone's beliefs, I saw a tunnel with a light at the end. Personally, I believe it was a lack of oxegen causing the tunnel as it was pitch black all around the tunnel of light. Anyway, something amazing happened; I was greeted by a presence, not a person or even an image of a person, but a presence that was reaching out to me to come along. It was extremely peaceful, and at first I wanted to go. Then I realized that I was not ready and even though I turned back and lived (I believe it was my choice) I was not afraid, too much, of the light. The peacefullness was overwhelming. It was a peace that neither you or I have been afforded in life it seems.





I was then transported to the hospital where I was diagnosed as having a drug overdose from one valium and three beers. WHAT A JOKE. I've done 10 valiums, drank a case of beer and polished off a fifth of whiskey before, more than once, and just woke up with a hangover. I was truly bit by a spider. The hole in the back of my neck the next day was living proof and everyone saw it. I thought that was worth mentioning.





Anyway, what I took away from that experience is the knowledge that there is peace ahead, but like you, who doesn't really want to kill yourself, there is a reason to live. There is a lot to do here and looking around you, there are so many people who need help. Where would you be if I took the easy way out that night and left the world? I'll tell you, you'd be getting a bunch of ';You need to see a psychiatrist or counsellor'; comments and you'd be in your bed, looking to God for some sort of relief. In short, you would not be able to read these words.





The truth is, I do not believe people who are in such pain as you and I have lived with are meant to die easily. I have been in so many situations where I should have been killed, left parties before some hell broke out and five friends died in one night. I've escaped death more times than I can count, seriously. And to live in such pain where death is proven to be nothing short of pure bliss (because of the spider bite incident,) I have come to believe that tortured souls are here for a reason and to the best of my 45 years of enduring it, the reason is so we can help other people who need REAL help.





I am not telling you NOT to revist your doctor, I am telling you that killing yourself is NOT the best thing for the rest of us. We need you. You are the tortured soul who will save someone's life. You are the tortured soul who will be driving down the road 10 years from now and you will stop to help those ladies with the flat tire that everyone else drives past. You will do it because you are a fearless warrior of life. And like I've had happen to me, you will receive letters from those grateful people you help along the way. Your life has a tremendous meaning and you owe it to us to stick around and help. We need you.





I know this message was scattered, but my pain is real as is yours. And having endured it for 30 years longer than you have I can tell you now that I wouldn't trade the last thirty years for another 30. Even though they were filled with pain I have had the opportunity to truly help more people than I can remember and that adds meaning to my life and I know for a fact that it will add meaning to yours too.





Just accept that you are different from most people. That is NOT a bad thing I assure you. You will be the sort of person others thank God is on this planet.
First off...you asking for help is BIG. That means you are fully aware of a problem. NOW....let's figure out WHY you are depressed. Without making you sound like you are ';off';...naturally at your age what you are feeling is normal. (maybe not the suicide part). But 15 is rough. I remember. Kinda feel like you don't fit with them over there, or them over there. So....lonely kicks in....huh? Well, it's time to talk to your parents and maybe it's time to change your meds. Sometimes, after a period of time, your brain has had enough of the old stuff(meds), now it needs NEW stuff. I think it's just the matter of changing your medicine. And also know that you are not the only one having to deal with depression. I go through it every month...(if you catch my drift). It can really be a dark place..BUT there's always tomorrow, and a great chance of things looking up. Hell you might win the LOTTO!! Take care and talk to mom and dad, ok?
Selfishness (or what seems like selfishness) is a by-product of depression. So you really need to treat the depression successfully. It sounds like the medication isn't working for you anymore, and some anti-depressant medication can cause you to have suicidal thoughts. That's a side effect that your doctor needs to be aware of, so please tell your mom you need to talk to the doctor this week, if possible. Meanwhile, do not act on those thoughts. That means, don't to through with trying to kill yourself.





The following things have been known to help depression naturally:


- Exercising


- Sunlight, or some type of light therapy (my daughter goes to a tanning bed 3 times a week or so, and it really does help)


- Taking Omega-3 Fish Oil capsules (you can buy them at Wal-mart, but I suggest getting the coated ones). Take 2 a day consistently - - do not skip and do not give up after just a couple of weeks. It may take several weeks for it to start helping.


- B-complex


- Do not take St. John's Wort or 5-HTP supplements while you are taking anti-depressants (ask the doctor about this)


- Find a hobby or an activity that you enjoy doing alone. This will take the focus off of your paranoid feelings towards your friends. But once in awhile, try to get your friends together to go out to the movies or something.


- Write in a journal or you can blog privately online.


- Cold showers (I think they energize and get the circulation going)


- Check your library to see if they have a book on cognitive therapy for depression or anxiety. Learning coping skills will help you a lot in the years to come.





Okay, that's it. I wish you the best and I sympathize. Don't ever give up. Life does get better, you just have to keep hanging in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment