Monday, June 6, 2011

SWEARING HABIT, How do I stop? I'm trying to change my life for the better.?

I'm a recovering addict, I've been through therapy %26amp; rehabilitation successfully %26amp; now I'm studying again at College. I've turned my life around %26amp; want to be someone. I stopped many bad habits %26amp; am now in with some respectable people. But I can't stop swearing! People pull me up, I don't even know I'm doing it. It sounds 'cheap %26amp; discusting' when I hear others swear %26amp; I want to have a good image. Any serious advice on how I can be more aware %26amp; stop?SWEARING HABIT, How do I stop? I'm trying to change my life for the better.?
Get a rubber band or any type of band will do and put it around your wrist. When you feel like you are about to swear or if you let out a swear then just hit yourself with it. I tried it and believe me it worked. I used to swear alot and it helped me out. My friend also used to swear then i told her about my miracle band. She tried it herself and she doesn't swear anymore. I'm not sure if it will work as good for you but try it and see. It's like when you were little and you did something wrong your parents used to smack you so you'd learn not to do it anymore.SWEARING HABIT, How do I stop? I'm trying to change my life for the better.?
Every time you catch yourself swearing, take some deep breaths to chill, then apologize for cursing and acknowledge that you are trying to stop doing that. It will help disrupt the pattern, the humility (toward another human being) will do you good, and it will help you let go of the energy you have on cursing and the tendency to put yourself down for it.



It will also put them on your side.
one why to stop put a dime in a jar every time you swear.

when you swear you

feel stupid. that's how i stopped.



laney
Spend time each day to focus on the real foundation of good manners- which is making others comfortable and at ease. Good manners loves words and deeds that uplift others, and turns away from anything that is ugly, brings others down or upsets others. Focusing on the pleasure you feel in being an instrument of peace, comfort and joy in others will help you center yourself.



You may find it very helpful to take a moment in the day to meditate on this thought, and to relax yourself at the same time. People frequently curse compusively (without realizing it) when they are stressed, and you probably find yourself quite nervous around these new friends and colleages of yours.



Take some time-outs during the day to center yourself and touch base with your desire to curse less... and any other new goals you have too. As you become more accustomed to your new life and your new surroundings, you'll be more relaxed and the swearing will decrease. At the same time though, you will need to apply continued effort.



I had a terrible habit of swearing when I was younger and I too realized how very ugly it is, so I know how hard it is to bring it to a stop after years of indulging it.



CONGRATULATIONS to you and best wishes too in your new life!!! I'm super proud of you!
Don't be discouraged since swearing is a norm. Anyways, from my own personal experience, I've noticed that I swear around people who swear, and that I don't swear around those who don't swear.



Keep hanging out with those good-natured people that you can trust. Put yourself into more of those social situations where proper language is encouraged, like babysitting a kid. Make sure you can learn something new from it. You'll become more aware of the aspects that will benefit you if you don't swear. Make ';proper'; environments a norm for you.



People naturally want to fit in, so I'd suggest that you should take the initiative. First, you could find ';replacement phrases'; in place of swearing: ';dang it,'; ';oh shoot,'; and whatever. It might seem sort of weird, but I believe that if you can convey to others that you do NOT want to swear, then they won't swear, unless they are some sort of insensitive jerk. Be very assertive in this way, and people will learn to respect you for it. They probably won't swear around you.
Swearing is just another new jerk reaction. This is just an energy release, but you have a ';highway'; in your brain so changing this is like making a hard left turn at 90 Miles and Hour. I suggest you find SOMETHING ELSE TO SAY such as CRAP or DARN or other more acceptable words as a beginning. YOU CAN DO THIS! I also suggest you start a journal and start identifying What you are feeling and what you are thinking BEFORE the S words fly out of your mouth. Awarness is the first step to change! Find at least 3 friends to become your Partners in Success. Tell them what you are doing and to cheer you when you have succeeded.

If that does not work, charge yourself a fee say $2 and give it to your cheerleaders! Either this will stop you or you will be poor and really have something to swear about!

Rock On!

Beth
just keep workin on it. Im tryin to get my little boy to quit sayin CRAP every other word, but he picked it up from me....however, i dont use it in the way HE DOES!!! lol...so the only way i can get HIM to quit is for ME to quit......

So lets make a pact, shall we??? We will just quit. PERIOD%26gt;
Replace the word with something harmless, and keep saying it. Apologise after if you use the real word.
you could wear a rubber band. and when you catch yourself, snap it. or have your friends be on the look out, or listen out. and everytime you curse, have them tell you, or snap it for you.



start a jar. every curse word you say, put in a dollar.
find other emphatic words that have the same ';punch'; as swearing and use them. it takes time to change habits, and practice. it could be as simple as counting to 10 in your head, or trying to figure out the emotion you're feeling when you want to swear. Mindfulness of what you are doing is key. at first you'll catch yourself ';after the fact' but don't give up! soon you will succeed at catching yourself while beginning to swear, and then before you utter the words. you already are someone, with much to offer other recovering addicts; good for you! Also, the new people you are in with want to see you succeed. ask them how they would stop or if they have any pointers on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment