Monday, June 6, 2011

How important is home decor/decorating in life?

I was just looking for some movitivational/inspirational advice. I moved into this cool apartment nearly a year ago and still have not had time to get it the way I want it. In fact, I still have a few unpacked boxes lying around. I have a lot of good ideas on what I want to do, but just can never seem to execute them because I'm busy, broke or whatever. Should making a more livable/organized, and pretty apartment be a priority in my life? Has anyone overcome a similar problem and then felt their life change after they got a better organized and decorated home? How can I find the energy and motivation to do this because I do want my apartment to be more welcoming...so I can invite friends and family over? I know part of the problem is that I work two jobs and I am kind of broke. Your thoughts....How important is home decor/decorating in life?
Your home should be someplace you can come at the end of your day and feel good, especially since you work two jobs. Someplace you can decompress. Our homes are our sanctuaries from the outside world and a haven.



That said, I would keep in mind that even doing one thing in a room, whether you paint it, add a picture, some throw pillows, will make that room look different, and should give you the motivation to continue in that room. I would start out with something as an inspiration piece. If you already own something that will be in a particular room (i.e. an area rug, a poster or picture, pillows) take colors from those things.



Do one thing at a time. It doesn't seem so overwhelming that way. You don't have to buy everything all at once. Make a list of things you'd like, keep it with you and if you see some of these things on sale or clearance, you can pick them up then.



I would also go through those unpacked boxes first. Go through what you do have; see what you can use. If things are just placed in spots to keep them out of the way, just pack them up and store them, or if you don't like them anymore sell them on eBay.How important is home decor/decorating in life?
They say living more organized can clean up mental clutter too. It all goes hand in hand. It can save valuable time if things are organized. (time can be used to decorate)



Live by what YOU like. You can find some simple and cheap ways to decorate now a days. Used is always a bargain. Shop yard sale and flea markets. Look at things that may be cleaned up by just a coat of paint.



They say most people decorate there homes according to what they wear. Look in your closet. Find a few dominant colors that match. That's a start. Then think of a ';theme'; or how you want the room to feel. Simple, warm and cozy, airy, filled with lots of stuff and memories, French, Gothic, prissy, or manly. Whatever you feel represents you. Keep it simple.



Sewing stuff on your own is cool if ya can. You can take some old cool curtains and make pillows out of them.



Shop the salvation army type places too.



Have fun.
I think you really should try to make time to at least get one room done the way you'd want it. When I moved, it took me awhile to get things together, but once I did, it was like night %26amp; day. It really affected my mood %26amp; attitude. I was just more at peace %26amp; relaxed, %26amp; I liked coming ';home.'; You would be making YOU a priority; its not really so much about the decorating part. Start small with 1 room, with items that you know you like. Like anything else, getting started is the hardest part. Once you get going, you'll be surprised how quickly it can get done. Good Luck!
:) My husband was reading over my shoulder for a moment and stated 'It's VERY important';.

We moved to a third world country in February. Yesterday he hung blinds in our bedrooms. what a difference! We have kinda frosted glass in the windows, but the blinds make it seem more private and cozy.



My point in saying all of this is that it does take time and money, but if you can get a vision of what you want it to look like, then you can work toward creating that vision.



I can see each room in our house...completely finished. The only room that is complete is our bedroom...and that happened with the addition of the blinds. I wish I could show you the 'before' and the 'after', but can't. Suffice it to say that no place is home, till you make it home.



No money. No problem. Get creative. Paint (spray or brush) is your friend. Plants. Cheap, but worth their weight in gold for the decorating 'oomph' they add. Yard sale and thrift stores are not 'junk shops', but are the recyclers best resource.



Look through magazines, on line, or in furniture stores (they have great displays) and get a vision of what you want 'home' to look %26amp; feel like.



And don't forget...home has a certain smell as well. Candles or a pot of boiling water with some vanilla or cinnamon added can make your apt smell homey anyway.



Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment