Tuesday, May 31, 2011

When you are waiting for something that could change your life forever, how do you deal with it?

I applied to Cambridge University this year and I have just received a letter saying that my application has been ';pooled';. This means that the college I applied to has decided not to give me a place, but it has passed my application on to other colleges within the uni to see if any of them have a place for me.



I'm trying to just put the whole idea out of my head for now, but I have never been so nervous in all my life. I wish they had just told me yes or no! How do you deal with waiting for something really significant to happen? And how do you deal with the disappointment if that something was really bad? :o(When you are waiting for something that could change your life forever, how do you deal with it?
Awwww, I sympathise. When I was your age I had the exact same problem. (it was only 6 years ago, but time flies)



At this stage, your application and what happens as a result of it is entirely out of your hands, therefore all the worrying in the world and stressing about it will change nothing. Just tell yourself you gave your absolute best, nobody could have done any more then you did, and that there is no shame in not managing or accomplishing something if you gave 100%. The important thing is that you had a crack at it.



None the less, I hope you get in and things work out well for you. And if it doesn't, don't panic. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Whatever happens, the best is yet to come.



I applied with a friend, they got in and I didn't. We sort of grew apart so I don't know what they ended up doing, but after doing a BA (joint) in philosophy and international relations I find myself 6 years alter working for the ambulance service. Its a funny old world, and things have a way of working out in ways you could never have guessed.



Good luck!When you are waiting for something that could change your life forever, how do you deal with it?
Glad I could help, best of luck to you and let us all know if you manage it, and if you don't, to hell with it - it might be the best thing that happens to you either way, like I say its a funny old world.



Take care!

Report Abuse


anti-depressants
I am in the same predicament with jobs atm, it drives you crazy doesn't it! Lol

The only thing that has saved me from drowning in anxiety is my belief in what ever happens is meant to happen.



Whats meant to be is meant to be!

All the best, i really hope you get accepted! Just remember if you are not successful in this instance the next opportunity or avenue you face is the right one!
hii dnt be dishearted .be bold,

there is something good that you will inshallah soonly know.

believe in Allah and also rather than waiting for something to happen ,making something to be happened is better.

do best in those matters which are in your hand and leave those which are not in ur hand bcz Allah is always there..

and for ur second question concerning about dealing with disappointment i have a link http://www.goodcharacter.com/YCC/Disappointment.html

i found many thing on this link..

visit it.........

and plzzz dnt make any impression on others that ur disappointed .

take care



amad_876@yahoo...
Just remember this: a lot of people that teach at Harvard, or Cambridge, etc., did not (initially) go to school there. It sounds like you will do just fine at whatever college you go to, and then can possibly transfer or take graduate studies. You might wind up teaching AT Cambridge! :)
I didn't have the experience when was a teenager because I lacked the education but as a woman I begun inventing and the waiting between 'news' when first started was very difficult to deal with. Constantly on my mind etc, waiting by the phone. Time taught me patience there. I, by chance started on another project too while waiting to hear the news and that was the best thing I could do. Not only did it help take the first project off my mind but it was my fallback for a huge disapointment (I was scammed) yet it was the beginning of many other positive things because it taught me to do things for myself in which I went on and did.

How about creating something to help with keeping things off your mind. Something positive so if there is a disapointment to come you have another thing to keep you positive-hopeful.

I wish you luck xxx
Ask yourself how many happy people never went to Cambridge.



I'll bet there are so many that you can't count them all.



Feel better now?



Cambridge is not ';THE'; key to happiness; it's a ';POSSIBLE'; key to happiness. There are many ';OTHER'; keys to hapiness out there.



When placed in a POOL, you can choose to sink or swim. Assuming you will choose to swim, keep in mind that you can swim toward one of those other colleges at the university, or swim in another direction altogether; that is, away from Cambridge.



During my years in life, I often learned that a direction I was headed in wasn't always the best direction for me. And when it wasn't, I usually ran into barriers. Initially, I tried to navigate through the barriers; later I learned that there was a message there. So, I looked for another direction that seemed to allow me to move forward more easily. Travelling in those other directions brought me to my current and happy existence. I didn't get here because I was a big shot, or a hot shot. I got here by giving it what I viewed as my best shot.



So, my message to you is that you shouldn't be discouraged. Things happen for a reason. Maybe you weren't meant to go to Cambridge. I know I wasn't. If you are meant to go there, the gate will open for you. If not, then it won't.



Just take it a day at a time. Happiness is just around the corner. Go with the flow. And the flow doesn't have to be Cambridge.



If you had a choice between Cambridge and endless struggle, and another path and endless happiness, what would you want?



Well, the choice is yours, just as my choice was mine. And incidentally, I'm a high school drop out. I never had a great job, never made much money, and never planned much for the future. In spite of it all, I'm now retired, have enough money to meet my needs, and in another four years, when social security kicks in, my income will be three times what I need to live on comfortably (well, what I consider comfortable). I currently live in a condo in Maryland (paid for) but want to sell it and move to an apartment in Florida in another 4 years. Then, all I'll do is eat, sleep, exercise, and drives to the seemingly endless beaches for fun walks on the shores.



And, as incredible as it may seem, I got to this point without Cambridge. So don't fret; just take it a day at a time. Happiness is just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment