Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Answering this question correctly may change my life?

I've alwaysed loved to draw, but I have a recent overpowering interest in photography. I also want to see how good I am at painting.



(a bit of a long stretch) Am I right by saying that good courses to take in college would be art appreciation and art history? If there are others please tell me. What types of jobs can I get with an art background? Tell me and I will research them. My life is on the line here folks.Answering this question correctly may change my life?
art appreciation is kind of a ';special ed'; class for non artists. I'd lean more towards art history (given the two). However, only studio classes will teach you the actual skills involved. If you like drawing/painting/photography, look up david hockney.Answering this question correctly may change my life?
Interior design incorporates drawing and photography - do a little research and maybe a night class to see if it suits. Most classes would let you sit in to ascertain if this is what suits your needs.
Art appreciation and art history will expand your knowledge of the subject. But you also need to take classes that will enhance your skills like an art class or a photography class.



I have a friend who was in the same situation you're in. He now co-owns his own photography business in CA. To get to that point he interned at a lot of local photography businesses, even offering his services for free just to gain the experience. He entered all the contests he could and built a name for himself.



Best of luck to you in your future. It's good to hear that you've found your passion at such an early age. Some people never find their passion.
look into art therapy. you get paid well and you get to work with all types of media. you also get to learn beyond just the act of crating rt but into the act of understanding it through your eyes and the eyes of the artist. I am hoping to become an art therapist for just this reason. Good Luck!!!
As a visual arts major and photographer, I would definatly encourage you to take art appreciation/art history, especially if you're looking to go into an art field.

It's expanded my knowledge so much, and I've seen my photography work improve because of it.

I'd also suggest you take at least 2D design if you are into drawing/painting. It will help with composistion and color balance, among other things.

Good luck!
Greetings:



There was a time long ago when I was offered a position as the official artist for the Alaska State Department of Fish %26amp; Game. I turned it down because I felt there were more qualified than I to hold the position. {I was and still am totally self taught.} I went back to school and two of the first classes I took were quite literally, the History Of Art and Art Appreciation. I was disappointed. In fact, I was completely turned off by the whole college scene and left shortly after the first term ended. I honestly felt that I was learning faster by attending the school of hard knocks. Since then, I have taught my unique methods from coast to coast including Brigham Young University in Utah and Clemson University in South Carolina. I am a full time artist with collectors across North America and Europe with over 270 awards including 19 Best Of Show honors. I have also been the associate editor of an international art magazine, owned two newspapers, and was an instructor to a 2005 World Championships art competition. I have judged art competitions from local levels all the way up to and including World Championships....all without a college education. Do I think the two classes you mentioned were good for me? Probably not. But your own personal drive is more important for you to develop than any other trait or ability. Teach yourself to look and to see EVERYTHING around you. Let your environment be your teacher. There is MUCH to learn if you dare to look and truly see. No one can talk you into being a good artist. Likewise, if you truly have the desire, no one can talk you out of it either. Master self discipline, and you will master the art...whatever that art may be. Believe in yourself more than you believe in the value of any book or any teacher. And MOST importantly, do that which you love MOST. I have seen many good artists destroyed because a college professor talked them away from the subjects and styles they truly loved most. Go for it. I believe you CAN do it. ONLY you can decide if you will. Good luck. Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment