Tuesday, May 31, 2011

SWEARING HABIT, How do I stop? I'm trying to change my life for the better.?

I'm a recovering addict, I've been through therapy %26amp; rehabilitation successfully %26amp; now I'm studying again at College. I've turned my life around %26amp; want to be someone. I stopped many bad habits %26amp; am now in with some respectable people. But I can't stop swearing! People pull me up, I don't even know I'm doing it. It sounds 'cheap %26amp; discusting' when I hear others swear %26amp; I want to have a good image. Any serious advice on how I can be more aware %26amp; stop?SWEARING HABIT, How do I stop? I'm trying to change my life for the better.?
Easy and simple: don't swear!SWEARING HABIT, How do I stop? I'm trying to change my life for the better.?
Spend a lot of time with a lot of little kids. When you hear those disgusting words coming out of the mouths of babes, you will be more careful about what comes out of your mouth. I have a 2 year old, a 4 year old, and a 9 year old.
I'm in the same boat - I was never aware that I sounded that way until I started hang out with people that didn't sound that way....and then I STILL sounded the same way and I felt somewhat ashamed, or belittled over it, and I would be hard on myself, etc....and y'know, being hard on myself in that way never helped me....



One thing that helped me was something I heard Will Smith give in an interview....he said he never used swear words in one of his rap songs because his grandmother once said to him that he was too intelligent to use that kind of language - that it was laziness - that there were plenty of kinds of words to use that better described how or what he was feeling than the four lettered kind....



I try to keep that in mind about myself - that there are better, more effective, more accurate ways of expressing how I'm feeling...I was just being too lazy to find out what those words were - not just dictionary wise....but sometimes I simply didn't know how I felt, and I was too lazy, or too lacking in courage to find out.



Another thing that helped, was not just trying to make ahabit of not saying those things out loud - but not saying them internally as well....
Well, from your history you know about trying to break habits. The first step is to commit to a one month deliberate and conscious effort for every minute of the day. After that it will be a lesser but continuing effort for quite some time. Like all challenges, your success will be sweet. You will be proud.
Like you said, it IS a habit. I too, found myself in the same situation you are in, while in my 2nd year of college. My worst times to cuss are when I am mad or excited about something and just blurting out what I'm saying in a hurry. I found that trying to come up w/ other more descent words or phrases to say in place of the ones I didn't want and trying to remember to pause and use them instead helped me out alot.



For Example:

Instead of: ';I'm so tired of my boyfriend's ****ing bull****!';

Substitute: ';I'm so tired of my boyfriend's constant childish nonsense and his being so insensitive to my needs.';



I too, sit back now and listen to others who talk like I used to and it makes me wonder WHY I ever wanted to sound like that to begin with because it does make you sound cheap and it is disgusting to hear especially when you are in a public or family setting w/ children's ears wide open.



Best of Luck w/ your goal to quit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment